Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com) is a three year under graduate programme. The courses included in the B. Com programme impart Analytical skills, Financial Literacy, Business Acumen, Business Laws, Taxation knowledge, etc, with an aim to make the student ready for the job opportunites in the field of Accounting, Banking, Finance and Insurance.
During the 3-years of the B. Com degree programme, the aspirants will learn about the general business principles, and at the same time study core commerce subjects such as Accounting, Business Management, Economics, Finance, Income Tax, Marketing, etc.
University of Calicut offeres six specializations for the B. Com degree programme, namely Finance, Banking and Insurance, Co-operation, Computer Applications, Travel and Tourism, and Islamic Finance. Our College offers the B. Com programme with Computer Application specialisation.
Why Should You Study B.Com?
- Prepares students for Entrepreneurship and Employment: A B.Com degree prepares graduates for the Corporate world as well as Entrepreneurship unlike any other Bachelor courses. The course provides business and financial knowledge to adapt in the professional world.
- Vast Job domains: Bachelor of Commerce graduates have a variety of opportunities to work in sectors such as Banks and Capital Management, Accounting Firms, Investment Banking, Budget Planning etc.
- Higher salary packages: According to Pay Scale India, the average salary earned by B.Com graduates is INR 2.5 to 4 lakh per annum. The entry-level salary for B.Com graduates is INR 2.5 to 3 lakh per annum.
- Higher Studies: B.Com provides a base to pursue higher education to enhance their skills and have the opportunity to earn more by opting courses like CA, CS, CMA, MBA etc. These courses will help to move further up in the hierarchy.
Who Should Study B.Com?
- Bachelor of Commerce, as any other courses, should be chosen carefully by the candidates to achieve the desired result.
- Bachelor of Commerce is the stepping stone for candidates who want to pursue and excel in the Management or the commerce field.
- B. Com will impart the basic knowledge of the M.Com course curricular, thus making it a perfect choice for MCom aspirants.
- Over the years, the demand for Bachelor of Commerce candidates has gone up in both government and private job sectors.
|Duration of the Programme||3 Years (6 Semesters)|
|Number of Seats||
25 seats – University Quota
25 seats – IHRD Quota
Human Resources Management,
Banking and Insurance,
Accounting for Management,
Business Research Methods,
Income Tax Law and Accounts,
Income Tax and GST,
Auditing and Corporate Governance
Computer Applications in Business,
Business Information Systems,
Office Automation Tools,
Computerised Accounting with Tally
Malayalam / Hindi,
Basic Numerical Methods,
Quantitative Techniques for Business,
Eligibility for Admission
Those candidates who are Eligible for Higher Studies as per the Higher Secondary Examination or a pass in the equivalent examination is the minimum criteria for admission to degree programmes, unless otherwise specified. However, candidates who have qualified the HSE and VHSE of the Government of Kerala under ‘SAY’ scheme and Compartmental Examination of CBSE are also eligible for admission to first year degree programmes in the same academic year. (U.O.No GAI /A2/ 5753/2000 dated 14.05.2004).
A pass (eligible for higher studies) in the Higher Secondary Exam or its equivalent, with at least one Commerce subject, is the eligibility for admission to B.Com. Degree. Candidates who have not taken at least one Commerce subject for Higher Secondary or an equivalent exam should get at least 45% (in 6 subjects) in that exam to become eligible to seek admission to B.Com. A concession of 5% will be given to OBC/ OEC candidates. The SC/ST candidates need get only a pass (eligible for higher studies) (U.O.No.GA1/A2/1658/2007 dtd 28.2.2008)
The college is affiliated to the University of Calicut and the regulations and syllabus of the programme are formulated by the University. The last comprehensive revision of the syllabus was completed by the board of studies in the year 2019, updated to incorporate outcome based learning for the admission year 2020. Most recent syllabus of the programme can be downloaded from the website of the University of Calicut by clicking the link B.Com. with Computer Application Syllabus 2020.
- Business Management
- Managerial Economics
- Financial Accounting
- Marketing Management
- Basic Numerical Methods
- Professional Business Skills
- Business Regulation
- Corporate Accounting
- Human Resources Management
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Banking and Insurance
- Cost Accounting
- Corporate Regulations
- Quantitative Techniques for Business
- Accounting for Management
- Business Research Methods
- Income Tax Law and Accounts
- Computer Applications in Business
- Business Information Systems
- Open Course
- Income Tax and GST
- Auditing and Corporate Governance
- Office Automation Tools
- Computerized Accounting with Tally
- Three Weeks Project and Viva-Voce
- First Semester - Rs. 14365/- + University Examination Fee
- Remaining Semesters - For each semester : Rs. 13035/- + University Examination Fee